What is head study in art and how to learn it?November 1, 2021 2021-11-01 17:58
What is head study in art and how to learn it?
Head study in art is a complex one, as drawing the human face can be difficult for an artist because of the complex features that the human face have.
But when the artist becomes capable of visualizing the underlying forms of the human face, then head study in art exercise can become a rewarding one.
Head study in art is a study about the features of the face, how to draw them effortlessly in a perfect way. It’s about having an in-depth knowledge of all the parts of our faces and techniques to draw them.
For beginners, it might be a little difficult but as and when you start learning it, about the face features and how to draw them, it would become easy for head study in art.
Learning head study in art for beginners:
- Start with a circle: The very first thing you have to do is draw a large circle and below the circle make a horizontal line for the chin then the jawline to be sketched. Then draw a vertical line in the center of the face that both the sides are symmetrical.
- Draw guidelines on the face: In the beginning, when you are learning to draw the guidelines, use a ruler without a ruler your proportions can become off and it would affect your head study in art.
As when you are a beginner, it might be difficult for you to locate a few objects with your eyes.
- Draw eyes in the right spot: On the centerline, on the face mark, four ticks are equally apart. And roughly the eyes would sit on this line.
As the eyes are usually slanted, so if the eyes are slightly above or below the line, then don’t be afraid. Just go ahead with head study in art.
- Draw a proportionate nose: From the inner corners, where the eyes are located, extend the two lines. The nose width would be determined by these guidelines.
And the nose could be given a chiseled appearance, by drawing the nose using angular shapes.
- Add the eyebrows: To define the brow bone, the nose bridge is extended past the eyelids. And remember that these lines should be very light.
- Use a triangle shape to draw lips: To mark the lips outer boundary, you have to draw a vertical line down the center of each eye.
You have to place of draw a small triangle under the nose and if you draw the nose well, then extend the triangle so that the tip touches the nose.
- Draw the hair: Draw the upper hairline and it’s up to you how large you want the forehead to be. And remember that whenever you are drawing a man’s face, go create a solid and visible looking hairline, you have to draw the hair from the sides of the head too.
And when you have completed the head study of the art, then remove the guidelines with the help of the eraser.
You can improve your skills by experimenting with unique faces and various eye shapes, eyebrow angles, most lengths/widths, etcetera.
And when you do this exercise regularly, you will be able to draw faces faster and even with little effort and when you will revisit your old drawings you can identify proportional errors.
When drawing a face seems hard then just simplify the structure of the human head when you are doing a head study of art, as you can eliminate a few details and break down many shapes into a few basic planes.
And as you simplify the head, you can progress towards the head study of art and facial features.
But for beginners, it might be a little difficult but don’t you worry! Pencil Tuts is coming up with all the amazing fine arts courses which you can learn online! Head study of art is a beautiful thing when you can do it effortlessly! So enroll yourself now to this course!